Whereas final 12 months it was not the case, this 12 months, an increasing number of kids have began getting affected by the coronavirus an infection, as a part of the second wave. As such, dad and mom could also be nervous about them, having a number of questions unanswered.
To deal with their doubts and assuage them, Dr Sreenath S Manikanti, senior pediatrician and neonatologist at Fortis La-Femme Hospital in Bengaluru shared with indianexpress.com solutions to some FAQs about COVID-19 in kids. Learn on.
“The vast majority of kids with COVID-19 are asymptomatic. Most could have delicate sickness, and 60-70 per cent are both asymptomatic or have delicate illness. Only a few kids, who’re symptomatic (1-2 per cent) require ICU care in tertiary centres,” the physician mentioned.
1. Is there a rise in an infection within the second wave in kids?
Sure, in all probability due to a number of causes:
* Mutants, that are extra infectious.
* Laxity on a part of the household — COVID-appropriate behaviour was decreased.
* Now, PCR testing is simpler to do for teenagers, so extra youngsters are identified with Covid.
2. Are the signs totally different within the second wave?
Signs are related. Fever, nevertheless, lasts longer and is barely extra. Adolescents seem to have longer fever of 5-6 days. Gastrointestinal signs resembling diarrhea, vomiting and belly ache are seen extra within the second wave, together with fever, physique aches and cough.
3. How do kids get contaminated?
Largely from different members of the family and siblings, going out to play. Mode of transmission is usually direct contact and airborne. Unfold by fomites has very much less probability.
4. If one household is constructive, ought to everybody together with asymptomatic kids be screened?
Sure, there are two causes to do a take a look at: < 0.1 per cent will develop extreme illness. However admission could also be troublesome on this state of affairs with out take a look at experiences; and to cut back transmission, for asymptomatic kids, get exams performed 4-5 days after the grownup is constructive.
5. What exams are performed if the kid is suspected to have Covid?
Ideally an RT-PCR. One can do a Speedy Ag take a look at in instances of problem of getting a report, but it surely’s much less delicate. Typically, sampling could also be insufficient, inflicting destructive exams. Therefore, even when the take a look at is destructive however the baby seems to be COVID-positive, we have to deal with it as constructive if there’s contact historical past. New variants are more likely to picked up with RT-PCR.
6. How one can handle a baby or a member of the family who’s Covid constructive?
Dwelling isolation, treating fever with Paracetamol above 100F, good hydration, regular weight-reduction plan, and symptomatic remedy if delicate signs.
7. What to watch (if telephonic monitoring by pediatrician)?
Elevated respiration, breathlessness, elevated irritability, excessive grade fever persisting for greater than 4 days.
8. How one can handle a baby if dad and mom have examined constructive?
Isolation is troublesome in nuclear households; higher if the youthful baby is left with the mom. Dad and mom must put on masks and take precautions. If it’s an older baby, the dad or mum who has examined destructive can handle the kid. Sending them to grandparents’ might be dangerous, if asymptomatic. Take a look at the kid earlier than doing that.
9. Can kids be tremendous spreaders?
Sure, they may give an infection to others, together with different members of the family and different youngsters.
10. Mom is RT PCR +ve, can she breastfeed the new child?
Sure, advantages of breastfeeding outweigh the dangers. Mom can breastfeed taking satisfactory precautions like utilizing a masks and sanitiser.
11. Can kids be remoted with a dad or mum if the kid is constructive and fogeys are destructive?
There could also be lots of nervousness if the kid is left remoted. Preserve them with the dad or mum — use acceptable PPE. Attendants mustn’t are available in contact with different individuals and get examined in the event that they develop signs.
12. Reinfection danger in kids?
Not clear, however very small danger as with adults.
13. Vaccination beneath 18 years?
As of now, there isn’t any information on efficacy and security of COVID vaccine in kids. Trials are on in youthful kids, at the same time as younger as 6 months previous.